Quality computer education prepares students to use computational thinking and creativity to understand and change the world. What are the subjects requirements for computer science, Computers have deep links to mathematics, science and design, and technology, and provide insight into natural and man-made systems.
The heart of computer science teaches students the principles of information and computing, how digital systems work, and how to use this knowledge through programming. Based on this knowledge and understanding, students can use information technology to create programs, systems, and content sets.
Computing further enables students to become more digitally competent and efficient- able to use, express, and develop their ideas using information and communication technologies – at the level required for the workplace of the future and as active participants in the appropriate digital world.
RELATED ARTICLE: UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA (UNISA) REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE PROGRAM
Computer science is a very attractive profession for those interested in technology and computers, but it is also a qualification that demands strong math skills and a willingness to work extra hard.
Requirements in South Africa
Computer science admission requirements vary, however, requirements at most of South Africa’s leading universities include at least 60% for mathematics and 60% for science subjects in mathematics.
Most degrees also require a basic language level, which is at least 50% for the mother tongue or first additional language.
The following are some top South African Universities with their respective computer science requirements
University of Pretoria
APS – at least 30 and above
Either English or Afrikaans – 60% or above
Mathematics – not less than 60%
Life Orientation – at least 50% and above
University of the Free State
APS – 30 or higher
Language of instruction – not less than 50%
Mathematics – 50% or over
Physical Sciences – at least 50%
Automatic acceptance – 45 points and above
Dean selection – 38-44 points.
Compulsory subjects – Physics or Life Sciences and Mathematics
University of the Western Cape
APS – at least 33
English – 50% pass mark or higher
Secondary language – at least 40% pass mark or better
Mathematics – not less than 60% pass mark
Physical Science/Life Science/Information Technology – at least 50% pass mark
University of Cape Town (UCT)
Guaranteed and sure admission – APS of not less than 660
Very likely admission – APS 620 APS or higher
Possible admission – APS of 550 or better
Mathematics – 70% or higher
Physical Science or Information Technology – 60% or better
University of Witwatersrand
APS – not less than 40% however, those with 38% and 39% may be put on a waiting list
English Language – 60% or higher
Mathematics – not less than 70%
Mathematics – not less than 70%
Either Afrikaans or English – 50% or higher
Note: APS is arrived at by adding together the 6 best results except for Life Orientation and doubling the results for math and Physical Science or Information Technology if a candidate does not take Physical Science.
HOW DO I FIND MY NEXT READ?
- WHO DEVELOPED THE PYTHON LANGUAGE?
- WHAT PYTHON PROGRAMMERS CAN DO
- HOW OFTEN DO DYNAMIC IP ADDRESSES CHANGE?
- COMPUTER SCIENCE PROGRAMS IN ONTARIO
- DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR SALARY IN CANADA
- COMPUTER PROGRAMMER SALARY IN CANADA
- COMPUTER PROGRAMMER HOURLY SALARY IN CANADA
- MALWARE PUNISHMENT IN THE PHILIPPINES
- RANSOMWARE PUNISHMENT
- WHAT IS STATEMENT IN PROGRAMMING
- IMPORTANCE OF ITERATION IN PYTHON
- STRESSFULNESS OF COMPUTER PROGRAMMING
- PROGRAMMER WITHOUT DEGREE SALARY
- SELF-TAUGHT PROGRAMMER SALARY
- SKILLS THAT SELF-TAUGHT PROGRAMMERS LACK
- WHY SELF-TAUGHT PROGRAMMERS FAIL
- HOW TO BECOME A GOOD COMPUTER PROGRAMMER
- ABILITIES NEEDED TO BE A COMPUTER PROGRAMMER
- COMPUTER PROGRAMMER HOURLY SALARY
- IMPORTANCE OF TESTING API
- THE COMPONENTS OF AN API
- COMMON USAGE OF APIS
- HOW MARKETABLE IS COMPUTER SCIENCE IN ZAMBIA?
- UNIVERSITIES THAT OFFER COMPUTER SCIENCE COURSES IN ZAMBIA
- BEST COMPUTER SCIENCE UNIVERSITY IN ZAMBIA
- THE COST OF STUDYING COMPUTER SCIENCE IN THE PHILIPPINES
- COST FOR STUDYING COMPUTER SCIENCE COURSE IN KENYA
- COMPUTER SCIENCE REQUIREMENTS AT KENYATTA UNIVERSITY
- COMPUTER SCIENCE DIPLOMA HOLDER SALARY IN KENYA
- COMPUTER SCIENCE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- COST OF STUDYING COMPUTER SCIENCE IN CANADA
- COMPUTER SCIENCE REQUIREMENTS IN CANADA